Temporary Status


Foreign nationals require permission to enter Canada as a visitor. A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is required of all visitors unless they are citizens of visa-exempt countries. Depending on the nature of the temporary stay in Canada, a study permit or work permit may also be required.

Work Permit

For foreign nationals to work in Canada, a work permit is required in most cases. There are different types of work permits such as a work permit which requires HRSDC confirmation to an employment offer, a work permit issued without HRSDC involvement or an open work permit that is not employer-specific.

Study Permit

International students need to obtain a study permit to study in Canada if they take a course or program with a duration of over six months.